Monday, October 25, 2010

Music - Sufjan Stevens


Lets talk music for a bit.
I don't think i've posted a thing about what i'm listening to lately since David Bazan's -Curse Your Branches (so good!)

Last week bradley came home with Sufjan Steven's new cd- The Age of ADZ.
let me tell you it's so great. I've always loved Sufjan Steven's for many reasons
but this next cd is wonderful and every song sounds epic. The album art work is great
and I haven't stopped playing it in my car for the last week.

It starts out with the song 'Futile Devices', it may be my favorite song on this album. It's beautiful sounding, like a soft story is being told in his hushed voice about his relationship and loving someone deeply. Which reminds me of something off of seven swans ( one of my favorite cd's Sufjan Stevens has put out)

This quiet song is followed by the song 'Too Much', you won't be able to stop listening to the complexity of all the synth sounds, mixed with horns and jerky electronic sounds. The music paints a picture in your mind more than the words do.

To skip to the end of the cd the song 'Impossible Soul', is impossible not to love. With 25 minutes of glory, in a melting pot of different music genres, it's got something everyone will love. It starts with Sufjan's soft spoken words telling you about a dream of his of the perfect love and love for us all.
"And I was in a dream, I was gone away without you, but not too slow
Lest I put it off, 'fore I put it right for the impossible soul
And all I couldn't sing, I would say it all my life to you, if I could get you at all
Don't be a wreck, trying to be something that I wasn't at all
Seems I got it wrong, I was chasing after something that was gone
To the black of night, now I know it's not what I wanted at all
You said something like, "All you want is all the world for yourself"
But all I want is the perfect love, though I know it's small, I want love for us all
And all I couldn't sing, I would say it all my life to you, if I could get you at all
Oh, oh oh oh, trying to be something that I wasn't at all"

There is a break of electronic mixes and horns which Sufjan Steven's shouts and sings different phrases leading into the 2nd part where his voice actually has some sort of effect on it talking about some man.. leading into a sort of hip hop electronic mix of sounds and chanting in the back ground.. on to the 3rd part last but not least. An up beat conclusion to the cd with answer and calls with multiple voices. Not only is the music up beat but so are the lyrics:

"It's a long life
Only one last chance
Couldn't get much better
Do you wanna dance
It's a good life
Better pinch yourself
Is it possible? Is it possible?
Boy we can do much more together
Better get a life get a life get a life get a life
Boy we can do much more together
Better get a life get a life get a life get a life
Boy we can do much more together
Better get it right get it right get it right get it right
Boy we can do much more together
It's not so impossible
It's not so impossible"


If you listen to the whole cd and lastly the whole 25 minutes of the last song, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers